The Morgue was first licenced as a public house in 1848, under the ruling British government of the time. Part of the duties of the pub under the licence was to provide certain public services — one of these being the service that would normally fall on an undertaker.
At the time, Templeogue was in the countryside and was the last proper town before Blessington, so it was commonplace that if anyone died in the surrounding area, the body would be left in the pub until the coroner, constable or priest was available to examine it.
In the year 1888, the Dublin–Blessington steam tram opened for business. The tram line changed the Templeogue Inn forever. The pub had a new duty — it became a ticket office for the tram and also earned its famous nickname.
Many people were killed by the tram (owing not only to its speed, but also the lack of noise), including many who were worse for drink. The tram line ran less than two feet from the front door of the pub, and on several occasions people would leave the pub, get knocked down right outside the front door and their bodies would be brought straight back into the pub.
Today The Morgue is owned by the Lawless family, who have run the pub for over 25 years. David Lawless now runs the pub and offers a friendly traditional welcome to all customers, with delicious food and drink offerings.